Cavaliers Advantage – BDM Introduction
Casey Basketball is excited to launch our Cavaliers Advantage program. This program is the first of many programs that have been revamped under the new Basketball Development Manager, Darren Best.
Casey basketball has come a long way and we have invested in your development by employing a BDM. Darren had the following to say about our development programs and the representative program for the next cycle.
“Casey has had some success over recent times and to continue to improve as an association, we need to continually evaluate and grow all programs. We need to give every athlete the best chance to progress with basketball. This can be progressing through our pathway in the Junior Cavaliers, moving into the Victoria state program and onto Australian representative duties.
For this to happen, we need to narrow the gap with teaching points and practice expectations for all programs including Cavaliers MUVJBL basketball.
In the 2018/19 Cycle, we will be evolving our offensive and defensive systems, as well as our overall style of play.
For our athletes to have the best chance adopting this program, I highly recommend our athletes register for Cavaliers Advantage. The Cavs Advantage program will be the first time current Junior Cavaliers will be exposed to this new system and could give them the edge over current teammates during the tryout process.
I will be delivering the Thursday Session and producing the session plans for the Mondays.
Cost: $25 per session ($125 per term)
Classes Commence week starting, August 20th
Junior Cavaliers Teams 5,6,7,8 – Mondays 4:30pm – 5:30pm @ Fountain Gate Primary School
Junior Cavaliers Teams 5,6,7,8 – Mondays 5:30pm – 6:30pm @ Fountain Gate Primary School
Junior Cavaliers Teams 1,2,3,4 – Thursdays 4:30pm – 5:30pm @ Casey Stadium
- You must currently play Junior Cavaliers to be eligible to participate.
- Players must register for their class as outlined below. (E.g. if you play U14.5 you may pick between either Monday class but cannot register in the Thursday class)
- Players are always being evaluated. At the discretion of the Basketball Development Manager, players may be offered opportunities to advance to the next class. (E.g. a player may be offered a spot in the Thursday class instead of the Monday class, if the Basketball Development Manager deems it appropriate).
Darren Best – Introductory
Dear Casey Basketball,
I am delighted to come on board to what is one of Australia’s fastest growing Associations. This is for me, ‘a coming home’. I started my junior representative career with the Cranbourne Comets. Basketball has been very kind to me, taking me all-around Australia to play and coach. Over the last 5 years I have invested heavily in my coach development and I am pleased to be able to come back to Casey and give back to the juniors. After my most recent role as High Performance Coach for Basketball Tasmania including attending several Basketball Australia camps, I have high expectations of how our program should and will look.
We will build on the great work that has been put in by Warren Dawson and reduce the gap with what is being taught and expected at a State and National Level. Our goal is to not only have our teams competing at the highest level possible but also have our athletes represent Victoria and one day, Australia. For this to happen, our athletes, families and coaches will go through an adjustment period.
Being comfortable does not breed improvement. I will be attending games on Friday nights and attending practice sessions before we start trials. Being selected to play representative basketball is a privilege and something that takes a massive amount of commitment from the athlete and supporting family. With this in mind, we need to create elite practice, game and communication standards.
I have attached our Casey “How we practice” Document that you will all need to read. This is the minimum for athletes, families and coaches.
Please keep an eye on our website and social media for athlete and coach development opportunities.
I look forward to seeing you all in a gym sometime soon.
BDM Darren Best Brief Coaching History
- Academy Head Coach UK
- DOC Sunshine Coast Association
- Academy Head Coach QLD
- Mathew Finders College Head Basketball Coach – Gold Medal – Senior Men’s
- QLD South State Team Assistant Coach U18 Men – Silver Medal
- Brisbane Bullets NBL -Advanced Technical Scout -Development Program
- Basketball Tasmania High Performance Coach – North Tasmania
- Tasmanian U 18 Girls State Head Coach – Country Cup
- Tasmanian U 16 Girls State Head Coach – National Championships
- Several Basketball Australia – Aus Development Camps / Clinics